Debt and Forgiveness
On my 9 hour flight from Germany to Texas, I wrote a blog about "Debt and Forgiveness" and I would like to share it with you. It might be a little hard to read, but I think its reality and we can’t close our eyes to this aspect of our humanity.
Wolfgang on DEBT AND FORGIVENESS
When you have the feeling you’ve reached the lowest point in your life, just know that somewhere on the planet someone has slipped even lower than where you are standing. Be encouraged that you are not alone. You have never been alone. Right now someone is in this same situation, walking through the same valley.
Sometimes you think that you can handle your problem, your debt, but later you feel that the problem is taking you over and trying to tell you how little and helpless you are. Could it be.... because you can forgive others but you can't forgive yourself?
You sit on your bed, laying your head on your knees and you cry, wondering why do I have to go through this. Why do I have this sickness? Why do I have all these debts? Why do all these bills keep piling up? Why does it seem all the problems of the entire world always find their way to me? Do you find yourself wishing them to go to your neighbor?Why why why, why... ?
There are many different ways to solve problems. Maybe you have friends, family or church members that are willing to find a way to share your burdens. To share and discuss a problem, especially a debt that is large, you need courage and wisdom, and the power to jump over your own shadow, or so it seems. A real friend will stay when the whole world leaves you. To share a problem with someone means you have faith and trust in this person. Who is that person you can trust when you need to confess the deepest and dirtiest points in your life. It is “the one” who sticks closer than a brother.
Let’s take a look at a few points. There are times we don’t share or talk about incidents, because we have wounded another persons heart and don’t want to take responsibility for our actions and ask for forgiveness. None of us are perfect, and we all make mistakes. It is so much easier to make a sincere apology making it right with the other person and be free of the “memory”.
Here are a few examples of what can happen when we refuse to humble ourselves and make an immediate apology.
Some people will run from the conviction of debt or sin because of pride, which is far too costly. The result of this decision brings anger. Perhaps it’s an attempt to justify withholding your apology. Second, it can lead to a fall into a deeper hole, getting depressed and looking for counterfeit "friends" like drugs and alcohol to mask and numb yourself to the reality of the truth, resulting in a restless soul. A soul that is always on the run finding no peace.
Alcohol and drugs can only let you forget for few hours, deceiving you into thinking you can party your way out of problems, but when you wake up from the delirium the problem is much bigger than it was before.
The result is you destroy not only your soul, but your body too. Now you are partaking of a slow painful death, not only for you but the people around you who love and care for you. It’s ugly, and the name of this behavior is selfishness. That’s really the deepest point in the valley of someone’s life, when a human sees no other way but to kill himself / herself.
Here are some examples of painful problems and debts. The powerful truth is you can handle these situations through forgiveness and bring peace to your life, your soul, and those around you.
1. You had a big argument with another person and you walked away in hate and bitterness. This person died and you came too late to make peace between each other.
2. You're a soldier in Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan and you tried your best to bring peace in this country protecting the poor and the victims. Then terrorists attack you and you are forced into a fight. In this moment when you are protecting your own life and the lives of others, you have to shoot (fire) against these terrorists then in the next second a child runs out between you and the enemy. You can’t take the bullet back and child dies from gun shot. You were there to protect and save lives and in that process you destroyed one.
3. Your girlfriend or boyfriend walked away from you and the beautiful world you both created suddenly crumbled. You decide to go into a bar, and join with some alcohol, then get in your car and drive. On the highway your reaction time is impaired and you hit the other car. Inside that vehicle is a pregnant Mom and because of the accident she will later lose her baby.
4. You had a good job everything was running perfect, a wonderful wife, precious children, a big house, an expensive car, and twice a year big vacations. The next day you loose your job.
You feel like you can’t share this with your family because you are worried about your reputation and think lose your status. You imagine your children’s school friends are laughing about them and every day will be hell for them. Friends from yesterday are not talking to you anymore.
Every day you walk deeper and deeper into financial disaster. You start to cheat then before you really know it, you’re stealing money and robbing a bank. You don't want to use your weapon, but the cashier tries to inform the police and in a second of panic you shoot the cashier, he dies, you destroy his life, yours, and your own family.
5. You're a judge and you bring someone into court. The situation of being in jail cause’s this person to be depressed, resulting in suicide. Years later when the truth comes out, you learn he was not guilty. Both you and the jury did a wrong decision against this man.
6. You're a doctor in a Hospital and for 20 years you have saved life's and done an incredible job. One day you make a wrong diagnosis or a mistake happens in a sugary because for one or two seconds you were tired and not concentrating enough. Then the patient dies...
7. You and your girlfriend have been best friends for years and have enjoyed the relationship. Her husband is a handsome man who has been burning with passion for you and one day you slip away with each other. You want to confess your sin against your friend but you don’t want to wound her heart. Then, in your hesitation you open the door to repeated visits from her husband, resulting in her broken marriage.
But He was wounded for our transgressions: the chastisement of our peace was upon Him, and by His stripes we are healed. Is 53:5
There was a moment in time when our Lord became sin for us. He cried out to The Father where are You, and suffered greater loneliness than you and I could ever imagine to purchase our redemption and reunite us with Our Heavenly Father. As He was being crucified, and His blood was running out of his wounds He said, “Father, forgive them for they know not what they do”. Jesus prays that prayer for us today when we ask Him for forgiveness for our debts, and sins. He bore our pain, along with every sin (every dirty deed) we could ever commit He took upon Himself, so we could be free from it and the price it demands. His sacrifice covered all debts of the entire human race past, present and future. There’s nothing that can surprise God, no sin to “bad” for Him to forgive. Confessing your sins to Him and giving Him your problems doesn’t cause Him pain.
The only real and true answer for your problems and debts is His forgiveness. The blood of Jesus will cover your problem, and not cause Him any pain. The only one who can bring real peace is our mighty God. Try it and start to pray and you will have an awesome experience. No one else can do it, His blood will covered it and will never lose its power.
When you go to Jesus and ask Him for forgiveness for your sins, ask Him to come into your heart so God can give you the real peace, rest and forgiveness that is yours and be with you and take care of you your entire life.
The “way” of forgiveness is open for everybody in our world including you. It doesn’t matter if you're old or young, black or white, poor or rich, just ask God in a personal prayer for forgiveness and you will get it without any delays or a bill.
You don’t need a credit card, health insurance or good connections. You cant buy forgiveness. Through prayer and spending time in His Word He will bring understanding to your heart and soul for successful healing. Only our mighty God can handle this. You might also consider spending time with your pastor, or a Christian Psychologist to accelerate your healing process.
Share this GOOD NEWS with everybody ! Your testimony is so important for Others who need forgiveness and healing, indeed it will impact their lives in a positive life changing way affecting generations.